1. An old comic pastoral.
2. The real hero in Rabelais' 'Pantagruel.'
3. Frosine professes a knowledge of palmistry.
4. Old enemies. The Turks took Candia from the Venetians in 1669, after a war of twenty years.
5. Molière makes use even of his own infirmities. Compare act i. scene iii. This cough killed him at last.
6. A good deal of the mystification is lost in the translation through the necessity of occasionally putting it for casket, and she for Élise.
Return to the The Miser Summary Return to the Jean-Baptiste Poquelin (Moliere) Library